The foundations of the church were laid on 23 July 1846. Dimensions of the former church was 20x10 meters. In 1871 the bell tower was erected.
However, in 1863 it was decided to build a new church after designs by Matteo Lorenzonija. The new church was designed as a basilica in the style of Italian baroque, with two towers and a dome above the altar. This plan was not realized due to lack of funds and experienced craftsmen. A draft of the church has been preserved.
The building of the old church was demolished in 1905. 20 June 1905, laid the foundation stone in the building of a new church in the late Romanesque style by the design of M. David. The roof was built in 1911, the northern bell tower in 1927, and the vaults of the central nave, the revised draft by Stephen Podhorski, were performed in 1938.
The church is 50 m long, 26 m wide, and the height of the bell tower is 32 m. The main nave is separated from the lateral massive stone pillars Romanesque appearance. The altar was decorated with the stelae and, as such, set in 1978. The tabernacle was built by the Herzegovinian granite, with bronze doors in high relief, similar to the pulpit with the symbols of four evangelists. The altar, tabernacle and pulpit work Acad. sculptor Ante Starcevic. The statue of Our Lady comes from the Italian masters from the mid-19th century. The stained glass in the church has developed a workshop Dedic, Koch and in Zagreb in 1912, and the Stations of the Cross was done by Acad. painter Rudolf Labas 1983.
In the left aisle of the church contains the tombs of famous Franciscans, Fr. Didaka Buntica (builder of the church and folk luminary) and Rafe Barisic (first Bishop of Herzegovina) .In the right aisle is a tomb with the remains of the Franciscan martyrs who were partisans killed and burned the monastery garden after the fall of Siroki Brijeg February 7, 1945. Also, in this tomb are deposited the remains and other Franciscans who died in 1945, and only to them after the War, the activity of the Herzegovinian Franciscan Province remains were found in Zagvozdu duction ie voters, and also will be laid and all other remains of the Hercegovina Franciscans who are research found.
Stylized drawing of the church is on the coat of arms of the municipality as well as the emblems of sports associations and various cultural organizations.